Hawkee   -  Oct 24, 2012

I was just considering... What if we removed the right navigation from the home and explore pages? That would give us the full width of the site for status updates, code, images, etc. I'm planning to make the snippet pages full screen, so why not make the homepage full screen. I could even display entire code snippet pages on the activity stream. You wouldn't have to leave the homepage to look at anything. Of course this would require a "show more" link for the long ones.

Abcdefmonkey  -  Oct 24, 2012

Well, if you removed the navigation from the home page, will there be any way to see the other sections of the site respectively? Possibly a drop down box somewhere? Or something similar? Because it's nice to see just code snippet posts and such once in a while. :P Or possibly have a sorting feature on the homepage to designate what you want to view. I.E. Snippets, status updates, etc. Honestly, if you were to go this route, a sorting function would be quite nice. As far as long posts/snippets, you'd definitely need a "show more" button and limit the auto-append as this was previously discussed between me, you, and SunnyD. :P Either way, I'm enjoying the route you're taking with the site design-wise and other aspects. :)

Hawkee  -  Oct 24, 2012

Sorry, I meant the right navigation, not the header. I adjusted my post.

Hawkee  -  Oct 24, 2012

I guess the closest example to this would be Hacker News. Its a very minimal design with no right or left navigation and it works quite well for them.

BlueThen  -  Oct 24, 2012

I'm all for it. I very seldom use the links on the sidebar, and all of that info is easy to get to anyway. Perhaps you can display the number of likes you have on the toolbar at the top.

Abcdefmonkey  -  Oct 24, 2012

Ahh, well, sorry for the misunderstanding. As far as the right navigation, it's handy I suppose, but I never really use it. It's helpful in seeing what you've done posting-wise, but nothing else, personally. So, I see nothing wrong with it being removed. :) I still like the idea of a sort feature if you plan on having everything posted to the homepage.

TMFKSOFT  -  Oct 26, 2012

I prefer the site as it is now. I'm not too keen on loosing that sidebar, I'tll start to feel like facebook. Which I do not want.

Hawkee  -  Oct 27, 2012

@TMFKSOFT Facebook always has at least one or two sidebars. We're not trying to be like facebook. I'm just considering the most simplistic design that makes the most use of the display. I'll see how it looks locally and post some screenshots if I like it.

BlueThen  -  Oct 27, 2012

He may be referring to the profile pages in Facebook, which does not have a sidebar.

I disagree though, the design on Hawkee is far too different from Facebook's, and sidebar-less content is nothing new.

While we're on the topic: Facebook's 2-column alternating setup in their profile page is just plain horrendous.

Hawkee  -  Nov 06, 2012

I'm going to keep the sidebar for now. If we start doing threaded comments it may be necessary.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.