Pangaea commented on a Page, Latets News from the world of Science (physorg.com)  -  Mar 19, 2012

Thanks Nappa.. another fantastic cleanup.. god you make it look so easy.

Aucun50.. yes I know how painful it must be to look at my code, and yes I made lots of mistakes in it, which took me even more time to look through it to see where the mistake was. Napas version is so much better and more efficient , however the problem with napas is I wouldn't have a clue how to modify his at all. For example if I wanted to add or take out a feed on my code i would just delete or copy/paste another one down and edit a few things, but with napas the whole thing is integrated into one body of code. In addition if I only wanted one feed to return 2 results but another one to return 3.. or if I wanted the "start of return line category heading" to be in a different colour to the others.. i could quite easily modify my own code to do that.. but napas, despite it being a far superior piece of code, ide be totally stuck how to even start to workout how to make changes like that.
I need something flexible in the sense that its simple enough for me to edit in the future. Unfortunately because of my non existent coding skills, when it comes to running scripts on my bot I usually choose the most simplest & crudest scripts no matter how messy and un-efficient they are so at least I can edit it. In short what i mean is, i choose flexibility over efficiency.. (but i must stress I only think like that simply because i cant read or code anything complicated like napa did.)
For me to be up at the level of napa on others on this forum would require me to go back to university to do a degree in programming, which much as ide love to do, im at the age and stage of my life that I dont have time or ability (in terms of taking on such a heavy weight and academic discipline ). I know folks that have gone to college to study programming and they drop out after a few years because its too tough.. and they are far more academicly minded then me, so what hope have I got.

folks thanks for the suggestions, napa thanks once again for making the code far more smaller and efficient, and of course for the initial help with the original code.

regards
pan

EDIT: perhaps this computer hardware analergy might click with you. My code would be like an oldish slow desktop pc, one i can up grade or modify with relative ease. Napa code is like a super modern laptop.. works better, smaller, quieter, faster.. but much harder (at least for me) to modify or upgrade.
:D

Respond  
Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.