Hawkee   -  Feb 27, 2014

So I just wanted to run this by everybody again. Should we just do away with Scripts/Projects and focus entirely on Snippets and Tutorials?

Iyouboushi  -  Feb 27, 2014

As someone who still has an active project/script here on this site, I'd have to say that it's only because of this site that my project has gotten better. If this site was simply snippets I would have never been able to post all of this (the project is just way too big) and I would have never gotten the feedback and ideas that helped the project grow (with a new version right around the corner even).

My vote is to keep both. However, I feel like I might be in a minority here. I don't see too many active projects here but I do see tons of snippets being posted every day. With that in mind, I can understand if you decide to remove the projects.

Arigateaux  -  Feb 27, 2014

Perhaps the reason we don't have projects is because the site seems to be more focused on snippets in the immediate and people don't realize the difference between the two? I'm not really sure, but I agree with Iyouboushi; we should have projects and snippets available.

Perhaps another solution is to make it easier for people to upload entire projects to the site, kind of like how GitHub does it (since it's been referenced by you in the past)? What I mean by that is to allow people to be able to see everything that is in the project itself with a viewer so they can more readily understand what all is available...

PennyBreed  -  Feb 27, 2014

It seems most projects are for mIRC, and I suspect that is because there really isn't a good place, other than Hawkee, to do so anymore. I do agree, however, scripts/projects should stay. Maybe have an intermediate page that spells out the difference between the projects/scripts and the snippets/tutorials. Personally, when I made my first post (I'm new here) I didn't recognize that they were 2 different sections of the site, one for scripts and one for snippets. In retrospect, I would have posted my HTML DOM to snippets, had I known.

sean  -  Feb 27, 2014

I think Scripts/Projects is useful but I don't like that the source isn't easily viewable without download (ala Github).

Hawkee  -  Feb 27, 2014

I'm at somewhat of a crossroad here. I'd like to improve many aspects of the site, but I'm finding myself hindered by the scripts section. The submission system needs a total overhaul and unfortunately that section just isn't very popular among anybody but mIRC scripters. Anything more professional always ends up at GitHub. Since we aren't trying to compete with GitHub I think we need to focus. As @PennyBreed mentioned it is a bit confusing and dilutes the purpose of the site by offering too many options.

If I can focus all of my time and energy on the snippets (which is by far the most popular feature on the site) we can begin to grow the site. Unfortunately mIRC is losing users year after year and to continue to support it will only cost this site more traffic.

Rather than remove anything I'm considering simply leaving it as it is. I may remove the links from the prominent places, but I'll likely keep it as it is for now. For anybody new to the site the snippets will be the only option. This can help avoid confusion and give mIRC scripters a place to go. It seems there are no longer any websites hosting mIRC scripts anymore, so I'm somewhat torn on the subject. I don't want to be the last one to shut the door on it, but there aren't too many folks left to keep the door open for.

Hawkee  -  Feb 27, 2014

Going forward I think the best place to post entire scripts is GitHub. Then the link can be posted within a snippet here along with the usage instructions and maybe some code examples.

PennyBreed  -  Feb 28, 2014

You certainly make some valid points, and with that rather compelling Google trend graph, it's hard to argue the fact that mSL is a dieing pass-time. Posting scripts to GitHub definitely seems like a viable alternative, and competing with them would certainly be fruitless. If it simplifies the overall experience at Hawkee, well then in my opinion - more power to you, my friend.

Sorasyn  -  Mar 01, 2014

At least allow projects to be posted in some form or another. They might not be a huge part of the site, but certainly still allow for some diversity while staying true to the focus. It allows bigger, and more importantly, ongoing contributions, and support continuation to exist.

Most users might post a snippet and forget about it after doing so. I'm certainly guilty of that, though the evidence has since been removed. However, with bigger projects I, personally, feel more compelled to keep up on it and at least expand it's features from time to time.

Hawkee  -  Mar 01, 2014

@Sorasyn Why not just post projects to GitHub?

Sorasyn  -  Mar 01, 2014

That's what I had in mind, I apologize for not articulating that better. I see you said something about posting to GitHub, and then to here with links to repository.

I've done so with my last few projects, and it works out much better than posting a traditional project here.

afp_romania  -  Mar 02, 2014

I think you should decide whats the purpose of this site. When i say hawkee in my mind = mIRC (projects and code snippets).

Hawkee  -  Mar 02, 2014

@afp_romania That's the problem, the site is associated with mIRC. We need to be associated with a broader audience and more modern programming languages. Unfortunately mIRC is dying and we need to diversify so this site doesn't go down with it. I would like this site to be associated with sharing code examples and tutorials to a broader developer community.

Sorasyn  -  Mar 02, 2014

mIRC's gonna be a tough demographic to shake, and a diverse user base will be a tougher one to pick up.

Hawkee  -  Mar 03, 2014

It's not so much a matter of shaking the mIRC stigma, but becoming attractive to non-mIRC users. I think the more I improve the code snippet editor and encourage more posts the better off we'll be.

[Plornt]  -  Mar 06, 2014

Perhaps make an interface similar to something like codepen so people can test some projects straight from their browser. Would be pretty cool to have some sort of sandboxed parser for various languages (ie, Dart, Javascript, HTML - web based technologies).

Hawkee  -  Mar 06, 2014

@[Plornt] I don't want to compete with the numerous code testing sites. I'd like to emphasize instructional code and tutorials because that is a niche that isn't so well filled in the developer community.

[Plornt]  -  Mar 06, 2014

Fair enough... perhaps a way to embed a codepen test then? Live examples is a pretty cool thing to have in tutorials. I may end up writing a few things up later on this month. Gunna release some libraries etc.

Hawkee  -  Mar 06, 2014

I've been considering allowing codepen or jsfiddle embeds, but they don't look very good with their frames and branding. Codepen will allow you to embed without the frame if you have a pro account, but most people don't have that. I think it might just be best to link to a demo rather than include it in-page.

Also, I don't want this site to be limited to web based technologies. I'd like to see some code for languages that require compiling as well.

Hawkee  -  Sep 26, 2014

I'm working on some design tweaks and I came across the scripts/projects templates. My first thought was, "Do I really want to keep updating these?", but then I remembered this discussion. It's been over 6 months and I want to check in with everybody and rekindle the discussion. Since then I've become clear on the direction of the site and have decided to focus entirely on sharing code and commentary (snippets). I'd like to rebrand the site as a writing platform for developers. This seems to be the one thing we've done well over the years. What are your thoughts?

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.