Hawkee commented on a .NET Script, WiFi Sniffer (C#)  -  Jan 15, 2013

How would you differentiate this from apps like Wireshark and Packet Peeper?

Sorasyn  -  Jan 15, 2013

Wireshark, and Packet Peeper are packet sniffers which analyze the individual packet passing through an interface, instead of the connection as a whole. Packet grabbing is something a tad lower level than C# can accomplish independently, I believe. What I'd like to do is rework the DNS aspect, and add process image names to associate connections with processes running locally to get a better idea of what's going on. That said I don't like the idea of capturing image names through CMD's "netstat" batch command; it's entirely too slow to be efficient.

Hawkee  -  Jan 15, 2013

So this captures higher level requests such as http or ftp requests?

Sorasyn  -  Jan 15, 2013

Yes, HTTP, FTP, etc... All "TCP" protocol connections.

Hawkee  -  Jan 15, 2013

Very good. Unfortunately I'm running OS X so I cannot easily test it.

gooshie  -  Jan 15, 2013

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SITE!? I can not find where I should comment to hawkee through his profile. I can not find where mine or hawkee's images are listed. I see a link for projects and dont even know what that is for. I see no way to upload 'scripts' (I'm guessing projects is a more inclusive way to add scripts and like C++ code, etc.). I see where to add images but not where they are listed. Also the "Select Image" button does not function in IE8 but does in FF18. Found the list of images under statistics but still can not figure how a visitor would find my images.

Hawkee  -  Jan 15, 2013

@gooshie Welcome back! A lot has changed since you last visited. To direct a message to me you can type @Hawkee into the New Thread box on the homepage. I may add a link to do this from the profile pages.

Currently you can post Apps/Projects (Scripts) by hovering over Explore above and clicking over to the respective section. I'm going to add a form to the homepage for posting Apps/Projects in the near future. This is one of the more urgent changes that needs to take place.

Images have never been a popular feature on this site, so they've become somewhat downplayed. You can still find somebody's images by adding "images/" to their profile URL, but I'm still trying to decide what to do with that page. You can still see everybody's images by clicking "Images" under Explore above.

Thank you for letting me know about the IE8 bug. I'll have to look into that. Only about 2.5% of our visitors are using IE8, so it's not a huge problem at least.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.