Hawkee   -  May 04, 2012

I've been contemplating for some time now how to differentiate platforms, frameworks, libraries and programming languages. Currently we've got them all mixed together as "platforms". This works for posting snippets, but it's not quite accurate to call jQuery a platform when its library. I've been trying to come up with a more general term such as markup or discipline, but it just doesn't sound right. Any thoughts or ideas?

Hawkee  -  May 04, 2012

One idea is to create platforms, frameworks, libraries, languages as parent categories with the appropriate sub-categories. It would be nice to allow somebody to post a snippet that contains CSS, jQuery and PHP and call it a web application snippet. Or one could post node.js, CSS and HTML5 and call it a mobile application snippet.

sean  -  May 04, 2012

@Hawkee Great idea! Have you considered creating a jsfiddle-like area for those type of snippets (HTML5/CSS/JS)?

Hawkee  -  May 04, 2012

@sean No, I don't think we need it. jsfiddle pretty much has that covered. One thing I'd like to consider is a demo page like Github offers. Or even multiple demo pages to demonstrate something step-by-step.

sean  -  May 04, 2012

@Hawkee That'd be cool. Off subject: have you thought about adding a Linux section?

Hawkee  -  May 04, 2012

We do have a bash section. What would you like to post pertaining to Linux?

sean  -  May 04, 2012

Mainly posting just a series of commands to accomplish various tasks. Not exactly bash but, it should suffice I guess lol Thanks!

Hawkee  -  May 04, 2012

Well we do have OS X and Windows, so I don't see why we can't have Linux, let me add it.

Sorasyn  -  May 04, 2012

You could implement a hierarchy similar to platforms that is designated for libraries such as JQuery.

Hawkee  -  May 04, 2012

@Sorasyn Yes, but how should it be implemented?

Firstmate  -  May 05, 2012

Maybe a detailed, mandatory tagging system. That way a user can submit the code as, for example, Javascript; but the tagging system would provide suggestions like "JQuery" or "node.js"...etc
I dunno, just throwing things out there.

Hawkee  -  May 05, 2012

@Firstmate That's how StackOverflow does it and that kinda makes sense. But we already have tags and those can be most anything. I'm looking for a way to categorize the snippets by language or platform.

I'm planning to implement a new snippet editor where you add multiple snippets with multiple languages/markups. So you could add a snippet that has PHP, JavaScript and CSS or a snippet that has HTML5, CSS and node.js. Would we just keep the platform system we have and just show the same snippet under /js/snippets, /php/snippets, /css/snippets? The problem is that CSS or HTML5 aren't necessarily platforms but markup languages. Everything has a syntax, so should we make the term "Syntax" the all-encompassing term?

Hawkee  -  May 06, 2012

I posted this question to UX.StackExchange and got an interestion proposition. We can have Languages such as PHP, JavaScript, CSS, C++, etc. and when posting code that pertains to jQuery it would be Javascript Language and the jQuery Framework. So we'd have to add a new type called Frameworks.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.