Hawkee   -  Apr 11, 2012

We're considering de-emphasizing the forum. Since it is only used by mIRC scripters our thought is to only include a link to it from the mIRC homepage. The feeling is that with such a prominent link coders of other disciplines might have a look and think this site isn't catered for them. I do realize there are quite a few mIRC scripters using this site, so what suggestions do you have?

Sorasyn  -  Apr 11, 2012

If I understand you correctly:
I'd rather keep it the way it is now. I like to actively browse the forums (specifically the Java sub-forum), and having to go looking for a link to access the forums isn't my cup of tea. In essence, all you would be accomplishing is to diminish forum bound traffic. Of which is already low as it is, and to make that traffic near 90% mIRC users? No thanks. They already have a depressingly dominate grasp here as it is...

Hawkee  -  Apr 11, 2012

@Sorasyn One consideration is to create a Questions section that's tied to the platforms we have on the front page. The forum categories are maintained separately and the software is quite old. The thing is that Stackoverflow already has questions and answers covered really well, so Hawkee is better suited as a site to share your code, apps and scripts rather than a Q&A site.

Sorasyn  -  Apr 11, 2012

@Hawkee I agree in that Hawkee should remain independently unique compared to other technological sites, and a forum re-structuring could be a nice way to set yourself away from the pack. However, making the forums only accessible from the mIRC page is not the way to do it; I think it will be sending the message you're trying hardest to avoid.

A question type system could be beneficial though. Have, say, Java's forum accessible from the Java home page, mIRC forum from mIRC's homepage, etc.

BlueThen  -  Apr 11, 2012

The forums feel like a sort of afterthought. I do like having discussions, but they should definitely be integrated with the platform pages in some way.

Maybe instead of questions, we could just have topics deemed relevant towards each platform.

blackvenomm666  -  Apr 11, 2012

i agree with sunny. seperating them like that isn't the best idea

Drarqua  -  Apr 12, 2012

Yes i like it more as it is now

Jordyk19  -  Apr 12, 2012

I agree with blackvenomm666. o.o

irchainscriptz  -  Apr 12, 2012

Well seeing as people are using the forums the way they are, why change! But the thing is they should stick to the subject that its made for.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.