s00p commented on a mIRC Script, Insult socketbot  -  Feb 28, 2011

Actually, it doesn't work. My definition of "work" is "functions correctly, 100% of the time". I noticed a bug today: Some of the lines in the insult files rely on $1 being the nickname of the person to insult. I forgot about this. I'll fix + update it momentarily.

To thise who think what I said above was nonsense, I wish you'd have been more specific so I could actually form a response that is directly relevant. Since you were obscure about what you disagreed with, I'll consider it a disagreement to everything I said.

By writing the insult generating part of the script the way I have, it's simple, secure (providing care is taken to ensure insecure code doesn't end up in the .txt files) and extensible. This script uses a layer of evaluation native to $read. If you open up the .txt files that the insults are read from, you'll notice $identifiers used in it. Those are evaluated when a line is randomly read from the file. This is elementary scripting, and if you don't know this then you shouldn't be running scripts on Hawkee; Running scripts without knowing precisely what the script can do is dangerous. By auditing the files, you can see that my script isn't dangerous. If I were to use a server, the script would either lose abstraction, become a security issue, or that layer of evaluation would be lost and as a result the script would become a lot more complex.

Any questions or comments? Do you disagree with anything there?

Respond  
Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.