RusselB commented on a Page, Colour Defender  -  Mar 26, 2009

@The_Almighty_Duelist: I have been thinking about your request while at work today (as well as the comments received before I went to work), and I can and will write an alternative version.
@Aucun50: If you feel the need to add the () around the if statements, be my guest. The script works fine either way.
To all regarding hash tables and memory usage: I have a bot that runs 24/7 on a PIII-600 with 512M ram and a 120G hard drive. This bot contains 10 hash tables. Of those 10, 4 contain between 10,000 and 15,000 entries. The remaining 6 all have under 1,000 entries.
A bit of quick simple math gives a total of about 45,000 - 65,000 entries for all 10 tables. The amount of RAM required to hold all of those entries, is less than 2M.
Now, I realize that the actual memory required will vary depending on the specifics of the hash table name, item and data that are stored, but this gives a general idea of the memory usage for a fair number of tables/entries.
At one point it was noticed that the bot was slowing down, and I checked the hash tables, to find that the tables (at that time) were holding nearly 10x the current settings.

Respond  
Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.