Typo commented on a Page, Typos Code Comparison  -  Jul 29, 2008

I will do my best to just ignore the fact that your technically dogging on every script I have released by attacking my style of coding which nobody else seems to have a problem with, tho I do wonder why you single me out with so many better examples of sloppy coding spread throughout hawkee.

Atleast take a minute and explain why you say the byte count is off.
I have asked over and over for you to explain why you say its wrong but you won\'t.

I will give new examples as to why my method is correct because apparently the examples above werent enough. First off. You keep saying the byte count is wrong but windows and mirc seem to agree with me. I used windows and notepad for my examples before so I will try different methods this time.

New example one:
Type the following in any window and it will show you that 2 characters dont always mean 2 bytes. You have to consider the carriage return.

//write -c testbyte.temp a | write -n testbyte.temp b | echo -a The file size is $file(testbyte.temp).size bytes. | .remove testbyte.temp

It writes the letter A to the first line in a new file called tempbytes.temp and then writes the letter B in the second line. After that it echos the size of the file we just made to the active window and then it deletes the file.

In the Write commands the -c parameter clears the file first if it exists and the -n parameter stops it from adding a $crlf to the end of the added line. (Without the -n a new line is started so the file size would be 6 bytes and not 4).

New example two:
Use alt+r in mirc to open the script editor in the remotes tab. After ensuring you are in the remote tab goto File and then select New. This will start a new remote file and the name of it will be visible in the lower left corner and is usually something like script1.mrc. Write two lines of one letter each and then hit ok to save and close it but be sure you remember the file name or write it down. Now just type

//echo -a $file(scriptfile.mrc).size

Where scriptfile.mrc would be replaced with the new script file you made. For me the line was \"//echo -a $file(script4.mrc).size\".
You will see the file is 6 bytes. This is because mirc, like the write command, automatically adds the carriage return at the end of the last line so the next line exists to recieve text so its adding a blank line to the end of the file.

The script also uses the $file().size method to get the size of the code so the repeated statements of innacurate byte count still confuse me.

See, the point of my script is to compare codes which it does very well and if I counted the byte size differently I dont think it would be considered accurate by anybody except Lindrian. Why should I have my reported codes size not match the actual file size it will be when its saved in any program whether it be notepad or in mirc or whatever else? I wouldnt consider those real world results.

BTW: I never said I didnt need a lesson in regex, infact Ive repeatedly said in several posts that Im trying to learn it and before this whole mess I was actually trying to remember who had offered me regex help on some server if I went (it was u I remember now obv) but I couldnt remember who.

Respond  
Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.