Hawkee   -  Feb 26, 2014

Since most folks aren't aware that you can post a full tutorial on a snippet page I'm considering changing the terminology. GitHub calls their snippets "gists" and Coderwall calls them "Pro Tips". Should we broaden our terminology? How about something simple like "Code Page"? Instead of "Post Snippet" above it would say "Create Code Page". Do you think the term "Snippet" is outdated or turns people off?

Hawkee  -  Feb 26, 2014

How about a "Code Sheet"?

Hawkee  -  Feb 26, 2014

Or maybe we can just say "Create Snippet Page" to imply that there can be more than one code snippet per page.

PennyBreed  -  Feb 26, 2014

I think "Snippet Page" encompasses that quite well, but "Code Page" might make it more obvious that larger bits of code can be posted. Whereas, "snippet" sort of implies that it is a brief extract.

Hawkee  -  Feb 26, 2014

I just think "Code Page" sounds so dry. I wonder if we need to be a little more creative and coin something unique.

Hawkee  -  Feb 26, 2014

Something like "Codactic" where it implies code but of an informational or educational purpose.

PennyBreed  -  Feb 26, 2014

I really like Codactic (Though if you're not familiar with Didactic, it could be confusing?), or maybe Hawkode (though it doesn't imply educational or informational, it fits the site brand rather well) ... -begin throwing proverbial sh*t at the wall- Codeducation(al) - Codetorial - Codeformation

Arigateaux  -  Feb 26, 2014

I think "snippet" works just fine. No reason to change it. Just my opinion though.

Hawkee  -  Feb 26, 2014

@PennyBreed Some good thinking there, I like "Codetorial".

@Arigateaux The problem is "Snippet" implies a single chunk of code while you can actually post multiple snippets on the same page. I'd just like to evoke that to suggest that people post more tutorials.

Hawkee  -  Feb 28, 2014

What about a "Code Screen"? Everybody's moving to handhelds and tablets so it kinda makes sense that you're creating a screen of code.

Sorasyn  -  Mar 01, 2014

I really like "Codactic." However, I agree that it might be a little off-putting for someone who's not heard of "Didactic." (Shamefully enough, I had to look it up!) Though that could off-set that by providing a clear explanation as to what it would be.

"Code Sheet," is also pretty good.

I still maintain there should be a clear divider between actual code snippets and tutorial type submissions. As of now, if there were to be a tutorial submission, it would get hopelessly lost in the ocean of snippets.

Hawkee  -  Mar 01, 2014

I don't think we need to make any distinction between snippets and tutorials. The goal is mainly to offer a searchable database of code to help anybody with a specific need.

Hawkee  -  Mar 02, 2014

How about a Code Canvas?

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.