Hawkee   -  Nov 04, 2012

I'm considering flipping the snippet comments so the newest comments appear on top rather than the bottom. What do you think?

Sorasyn  -  Nov 04, 2012

That always throws me off cause so many websites do it differently from another. I'd say stick with what you have now. By now most people are familiar with the comment layout, changing it would cause more confusion than anything in my opinion.

Hawkee  -  Nov 04, 2012

I'm seeing more and more prominent websites flipping this around.

sunslayer  -  Nov 04, 2012

Flipping them would make it easier to see the newest comments, instead of scrolling to the bottom of the page.

blackvenomm666  -  Nov 05, 2012

especially on those that have over a hundred comments lol. people are use to how it is now but like you said other sites are flipping them so i think they will get use to it pretty quickly since they will be seeing it that way elsewhere in my opinion having the newer comments at the top is easier to check them i think you should give it a go. if it doesn't work out right or no one likes it you can always switch it back

Jordyk19  -  Nov 05, 2012

I am so used to that sidebar @ the snippet pages :P

But sounds nice :)

Hawkee  -  Nov 05, 2012

@Jordyk19 Well I hope you don't miss it too much.

bitfed  -  Nov 05, 2012

There is another way... you can hide all but the last n comments and have a "show previous comments" button. ala fb.

Hawkee  -  Nov 05, 2012

@bitfed Yes, that's an idea too. Might be good for pages that have 50+ comments.

BlueThen  -  Nov 05, 2012

You can order them by votes.

Hawkee  -  Nov 05, 2012

@BlueThen I don't think I'll be doing that. Hacker News and Reddit both do that and it really removes any sort of timeline to the comments.

BlueThen  -  Nov 05, 2012

Well, being completely flat, it probably wouldn't work here as coherent discussion would be nearly impossible.

I'm not a big fan of timelines either, though. Once you have thousands of people commenting on one post, the majority of comments end up being very low-substance (See: YouTube's comments).

Perhaps, like the front page, you can prioritize comments by people you follow over everybody else (and have an expandable quote system like Twitter has)

Hawkee  -  Nov 06, 2012

I'm considering allowing for threaded comments, but I need to work out the implementation details such as how many levels deep to allow, how to display multiple levels on the homepage, etc.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.