Hawkee   -  Oct 01, 2012

I'm considering removing the spidered Hardware, Review and App data from the site to better focus on developers. We'll still have apps posted by members, but no apps by non-members. This will really help reduce the size of our massive database and focus all of our server resources on our most popular sections.

Sorasyn  -  Oct 01, 2012

Sounds like a great idea. Those sections are used sparingly at best from what I've seen.

Hawkee  -  Oct 01, 2012

Yes, but they do provide the biggest source of income for the site through search engine traffic. But I'm willing to let go of the income to better focus the direction of the site.

Abcdefmonkey  -  Oct 01, 2012

I've never actually clicked on those sections. Lol. I just did now though, and they don't seem to of any interest to me. I can see how it helps financially though. However, I doubt many people that use this site actually use those sections. >.<

[Plornt]  -  Oct 02, 2012

Just tagging onto your latest status update letting you know "Go" is now named "Dart" in programming languages (Ive just read through the entire spec for Dart and its pretty good. May make some random snippets with it).

Hawkee  -  Oct 02, 2012

@[Plornt] Looks like Dart is something different. It strives to replace JavaScript while Go is more of a server-side language. I'll add a Dart section though.

[Plornt]  -  Oct 02, 2012

@Hawkee Ah sorry, could have sworn Google owned Go and renamed to Dart. Fair enough then :P Alls good!

BlueThen  -  Oct 02, 2012

The growing number of languages reminds me of this XKCD comic: http://xkcd.com/927/

Hawkee  -  Oct 02, 2012

@BlueThen Although languages and standards are somewhat different. Certain languages work well for specific applications, but standards try to achieve an all encompassing discipline.

Hawkee  -  Oct 02, 2012

Working on a test server with the proposed light weight site and it's quite a bit faster. Particularly when liking and posting comments.

Hawkee  -  Oct 03, 2012

Feel free to play around with it and let me know what you think of the performance: http://server9.hawkee.com - This is day-old data and you're welcome to post/like/etc. anything you'd like. I'll be deleting it all anyway. The Scripts and Apps sections aren't working yet, but I'm mainly testing the overall speed of the site.

Sorasyn  -  Oct 03, 2012

The only noticeable difference in speed that I notice currently, is the likes/comments. All else runs great as far as I'm concerned. On the main hawkee.com that is. ;)

Hawkee  -  Oct 03, 2012

@Sorasyn Yes, that's the main issue with the current site. Comments or likes sometimes take 5 seconds or more to post. By removing all the Hardware, Reviews and Apps the site won't have any more speed issues.

Abcdefmonkey  -  Oct 03, 2012

It's quite noticeable @Hawkee. A lot smoother when commenting and liking. :]

Just did a like on this page took roughly 4 seconds for the like to appear. Liked on the test site and it was near instant. Same with commenting. XD Nice.

Hawkee  -  Oct 05, 2012

I've already started removing a lot of the data on the live site. Things should be a lot faster already.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.