lnz013   -  May 21, 2012

It there any real social networks for developers? The needs of developers are totally different.

Hawkee  -  May 22, 2012

Github is a social coding site, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily a social network. We're trying to fill in the social gap.

Sorasyn  -  May 22, 2012

I think here is as close to "social network" developing as you're going to get. All other sites that immediately come to mind are problem-solution type sites.

lnz013  -  May 22, 2012

@Sorasyn Yes, you are right. Hawkee is better than others in "social network of developers". When I signed in, the first page is the activities. That's like twitter and facebook. The problem is twitter and facebook are for all kind of people, no matter who they are, what they are working on. A developer's social network should be some kind of different. The scripts and code snippets are good in hawkee. I know a lot of people they use internet like the fllowing way: engadget.com news, working in github, ask questions on stackoverflow, check some tech books on amazon, check tech posts on dzone.com.
maybe share code snippets and scripts on hawkee. You see, they are alone, there is no any kind of website to connect them together. I think github is the best for now, although it's a social coding site, it connect people together, because you really can learn things there. But it's only about projects and code, it's not enough.

Firstmate  -  May 22, 2012

Hacker News is great, certain reddit subreddits too. Dunno, even then those are kinda in niches.

lnz013  -  May 22, 2012

@Firstmate I agree. We are developers, we made so many great websites which are used everyday by people, but we don't know how to connect us.

Hawkee  -  May 22, 2012

I do plan to aggregate activity from github and stackoverflow, so when you answer a question or commit to a repo those activities will also be reflected here. My hope is to give developers a single stream from which they can share their development activity.

lnz013  -  May 24, 2012

That's great.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.