Hawkee   -  May 02, 2012

Working on my first node.js script. It's based on Chrome's V8 JavaScript parser and allows you to run JS code from your command line or as a web server. Look into it if you'd like to learn a new language.

Hawkee  -  May 02, 2012

Was just looking at this article about using node.js with mongodb. This is a very nice combination of technologies in terms of speed and scalability.

Typo  -  May 02, 2012

I have also been looking into node.js a bit lately, I think it looks awesome and has a ton of potential.

sean  -  May 02, 2012

just switched to node.js and mongodb for a chess web app. great tools, highly recommended :)

Hawkee  -  May 02, 2012

I think they can be very useful in speeding up some aspects of this site. mySQL has been such a bottleneck and our PHP code is getting very convoluted.

sean  -  May 02, 2012

@Hawkee have you tried using tools like memcached or APC?

Hawkee  -  May 02, 2012

@sean No, I looked at memcached a couple years ago but didn't get into it. I might need to look at it again. How would it be used in relation to a typical PHP/mySQL configuration?

SReject  -  May 03, 2012

Node isn't a 'new' language. Its not even a new engine. It's a JavaScript environment; just new members to access. The biggest difference between the JavaScript everyone knows('browser' JavaScript) and node is there isn't browser, window, document members. Instead you have 'server' members such as file and socket handlers. Most member calls are done through callback functions, which have the potential to speed up code(or at least keep your program from hanging), though to new JavaScript comers this can make code difficult to read and understand

I work with node quiet a bit just tinkering, and for simple projects it's amazing, but as you scale projects you will see a drastic decrease in speed; more exponential than linear. The more the interrupter has to handle the closer node comes to crawling by. This is by no means what everyone will experience, just what I have time and time again.

In my opinion, Nodejs is great for small, in house, projects but beyond that I'd suggest using something along the lines of Apache+PHP+MySQL.

Hawkee  -  May 03, 2012

@SReject Some very valid points there. It is not a language but a Javascript interpreter. Would love to see some examples of your work.

Hawkee  -  May 04, 2012

I just discovered http://expressjs.com/ - This looks like a nice web server library for node.js

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.