Hawkee   -  Apr 09, 2012

We've been considering removing the snippet scoring. It has been a source of conflict over the years and with the newer "like" system it is no longer necessary. What are your thoughts?

BlueThen  -  Apr 09, 2012

A dislike button might help as well. Snippets with a lot of likes might just mean they've got a lot of exposure. It'd be easier for the common user to judge snippet quality from the search if they got an idea of what the ratio of likes to dislikes are.

Hawkee  -  Apr 09, 2012

They get a lot of exposure if they are good snippets. I think this just goes hand-in-hand with the "like" functionality. Introducing a dislike feature might just create a whole new source of conflict. Stackoverflow uses a vote down system effectively, but that's better suited for a question and answer type of system. It is something to consider, but maybe its not too crucial at this point in time.

Sorasyn  -  Apr 09, 2012

I think it accurately gauges a snippets ability, more so than "likes." That being said, I think people give low scores sometimes out of spite.

Meta  -  Apr 09, 2012

I agree with SunnyD on both counts. Even though numerical scoring is subject to a certain kind of abuse, when used fairly and honestly, I feel that it provides a much more accurate representation of the overall accepted quality of a code than an - in my opinion - 'one-dimensional' "I like this", "I don't like this" or "I feel neutral about this" type of system ever could. The numerical system, I feel, is simply much more beneficial to the coder overall.

Phil_FW  -  Apr 09, 2012

Just a consideration Scott. Getting an android app for Hawkee. It'd be really useful for me and I'm sure, a lot of other scripters or forums users. Perhaps something similar to the facebook app, where it gives notifications for comments, forum replies, messages, likes, etc...

Meta  -  Apr 09, 2012

I could've sworn there was one, Phil, but I can't find it so I must be delusional.

Hawkee  -  Apr 09, 2012

@Sorasyn Maybe so, but I feel the scores somewhat complicate things. Some people might only post a rating while others might only post a like. This dilutes both mechanisms and doesn't allow for a focused evaluation.

Hawkee  -  Apr 09, 2012

We don't have an Android app for the site at the moment, but I do plan to make a CSS layout for mobile devices first then maybe explore the option of building apps for iPhone and Android.

Sorasyn  -  Apr 09, 2012

@Hawkee A mobile CSS layout would serve as an application in and of itself. I know you're going for a social networking feel, but evaluating snippets and code blocks alike with solely like and dislikes would by no means be a suffice evaluation method. However, I've always looked at "liked" snippets to be of a higher quality than most other snippets. In any case, I'd like to see the scoring mechanism stick around, but ultimately the choice is yours.

Scakk  -  Apr 09, 2012

I feel the scoring system is broken as some people will rate something a 1 out of spite. Some people may +Like it but never Score it. Perhaps a level of +Like could be done. nnLike Alot - Like - Somewhat Like - Somewhat Dislike - Dislike nnJust my 2cents.

Hawkee  -  Apr 09, 2012

@Scakk Yes, that is exactly my feeling. Some people like, some people score but they don't do both. Then neither provide a complete evaluation.

Phil_FW  -  Apr 09, 2012

Hawkee if you need someone to assist with the CSS, I'm certified in Adobe Dreamweaver

Scakk  -  Apr 09, 2012

@Hawkee There are "nn" in my reply above where it should have been empty lines. Supposed to be that way or?

Hawkee  -  Apr 09, 2012

@Scakk Thank you, that was a bug. I've corrected it.

sunslayer  -  Apr 09, 2012

@Hawkee I'd like to see the rating system stay and maybe add a "popular" section that lists recent posts based on their rating and number of likes.

Hawkee  -  Apr 09, 2012

@sunslayer You can sort the snippets by "Recently Liked" on the snippets page. Those are sorted by the point in the time that they reached a certain "like" threshold.

Jethro  -  Apr 09, 2012

I truly support the idea of discarding the "abusive" scoring system in favor of the like feature. Please make it happen.

Hawkee  -  Apr 09, 2012

Hey @Jethro good to see you around.

extremity  -  Apr 09, 2012

I believe the like system is best to remove abusive ratings. However, I think that either A> moderators show have the ability to score/rate or B> some method of accelerating the really good snippets to take search precedence over the ones that are just liked. (Maybe another version of like 'did you find this useful?' based upon search)

Hawkee  -  Apr 10, 2012

@extremity You brought up a good point. We need to improve the snippet search results. A good way to do this would be to balance the relevance with a score determined by likes, comments and pageviews.

blackvenomm666  -  Apr 10, 2012

mmhmm people do like to score others' snippets as 1 out of spite. tis happened to me lol. when i look through snippets these days i don't even pay attention to the score of it. i saw one that was rated a 2 once but was really nicely done. and as hawkee said most people don't +like and +score its one or the other so getting rid of the scoring may be the best bet.

irchainscriptz  -  Apr 11, 2012

Why even bother with a rating score, people seem to write there rating in the comments and as to why they gave a low or high rating. despite people giving low score's due to hate or just plain abuse the system, dosent make a difference they will say it in the comments. as for the likes it's ok But I would have to agree with extremity moderators should have the ability to score, and be more in tune with the forums. and snippet section, as I dont see much of them around on here. eithier way like the work thats being done on here Hawkee !!

Hawkee  -  Apr 17, 2012

I've gone ahead and removed the scoring based on our feelings and this discussion. This will better focus the scoring of snippets since liking is the only form of evaluation, and we will no longer see so many snippets with a 0.0 score.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.