Hawkee   -  Apr 07, 2012

I just added avatars to the @mention autocomplete and made some speed adjustments. Let me know what you think.

BigSteve  -  Apr 07, 2012

@Hawkee nice one :D

N3M3S1S  -  Apr 07, 2012

Speed adjustments? To the website? It does seem faster :D

Hawkee  -  Apr 07, 2012

@N3M3S1S I did make some adjustments to the site a few days ago, but this particular post was pertaining to the speed of the @mention autocomplete.

Abcdefmonkey  -  Apr 07, 2012

@Hawkee I can tell. :) Before it took quite some time for the autocomplete to popup. Also, nice on the avatar addition.

Hawkee  -  Apr 07, 2012

@Abcdefmonkey I still have some more adjustments to make to it. I plan to cache the names most likely to be mentioned so those will come up instantly.

Abcdefmonkey  -  Apr 07, 2012

Sounds like a plan to me. Excellent job on improving the site lately. You're doing a great job! :)

Jordyk19  -  Apr 08, 2012

Very good! :D

Firstmate  -  Apr 08, 2012

This is my opinion, but I think it should automatically be inserted (the hyperlink), even if the user doesn't hit the autocompleted entry.

Hawkee  -  Apr 09, 2012

@Firstmate There is a very good reason I did it this way. If you @mention somebody who has a space in their name it would be very difficult to parse the text to convert it to a link. For this reason I have a hidden field that mirrors the text as you type except the username is encoded with the user_id. So when this is saved to the database it's actually saved like this: @ [47706]. In order for this to happen you need to select the name from the autocomplete dropdown. This is how it works on Facebook and Google+. Only Twitter parses the actual text of the post and they can get away with it because there are no spaces in their usernames.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.