FiberOPtics commented on a Page, /pause  -  Jan 14, 2006

You don\'t understand.

It\'s not so much the fact that I got a 6, although it is far beneath what it is worth, no matter if I\'m the author, I\'m objective enough to know quality code when I see it.

My gripe is that I get a grade that is only just above some of the absolute garbage that gets posted here. I don\'t know about others, but for me, that is completely insulting. You know, my code actually works! Some of the snippets that got submitted here this week don\'t even work properly, or are suffering from design mistakes that shouldn\'t be there in the first place. That\'s why I was mad, I\'m almost getting the same score as those people, and they can\'t even script!

The score of a snippet says something about the quality of the snippet, of the code, of its usefulness, on how much care the author used when creating the snippet. Do you know how much time I spent on writing the documentation for my snippets? Take a look at my $fileinfo snippet, writing the documentation for that took longer than writing the code.

Anyway, what bothers me the most is that people who don\'t have a clue about mIRC scripting have the ability to grade me with whatever score they want.

Unfortunately, I\'m not the kind of person that can cope with something like that, I don\'t want just anyone grading my code, when I know I\'m 10x better at scripting than the person grading me in the first place. I feel like a professor getting graded a D by a freshman student.

You may call that childish if you wish, but that\'s simply how I perceive things. I\'m not going to beg people to give me a big score, so the only thing to prevent getting a low score is simply no longer submitting code.

I\'m aware my reaction was a overly dramatic, but to be honest I was seriously pissed off, because that\'s the kind of person I am when things happen that I don\'t agree with. I\'m aware that when you\'re pissed of, your not nearly as rational as you are in normal situations. So yes, I did overreact.

I\'m keeping the rest of my snippets for sites where only qualified people may grade submissions, and where people appreciate good code.

I have nothing further to say.

Respond  
Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.