gooshie commented on a Page, mIRC6.3+ Lag Checker  -  Aug 26, 2009

Jonesy:
Using $network was considered but dismissed because often I am connected more than once per network so it seems easier for me to know what is lagging if it is per nickname. Also consider that the way it is written it creates one lag test timer per server connection but using $server would be even more difficult to figure out what was lagging. It is useful to test each server connection and not just each network connection however, if you wish to change it to $network then also consider changing the on connect event to match as well:

on *:CONNECT:.timerLag $+ $network 0 55 ping $!ticks

You will also need to edit the menu items to match. To be honest I only use the Check Lag Now menu item and provided the other items to make it appear more complete.

This is about the 10+ lag test version I have written over the years including one version that averaged lag over time storing the values in a hash table so as to calculate average lag to too many decimal places. After all this i arrived at the following conclusions:

• Lag comes and goes over time and varies from test to test.
  • It's really ok to round it off to 1 or 2 decimal places.
  • I really don't need to know what my lag is until it's bad.
  • Less than 5 seconds of lag is ok.
  • No one cares how much lag I have so no need to msg/describe it to a channel.BTW, I faked the 12.96 seconds lag for the screen shot by using /ping $ticks[TABBED IT] counted to ten and sent.
 Respond  
Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.