Hawkee   -  Mar 11, 2015

I'm experimenting with TinkerCad and it seems to be quite powerful. Our local library has a 3D printer that's available to the public, so I've started to get into printing basic things. Anybody else have access to a 3D printer?

[Plornt]  -  Mar 14, 2015

Had plans of buying one last year but I decided to hold off until they got a little higher resolution for cost (budget approx $600). Thats pretty cool that your library has one, how much do they charge per print?

Hawkee  -  Mar 16, 2015

They have the Makerbot Replicator 2X and they don't charge to use it. You just need to go through a safety session to gain access to the "Makerspace" where they offer all sorts of tools including the printer. The main limitation is the hours. It's only available for 6 hours a week.

[Plornt]  -  Mar 16, 2015

Oh wow, thats not bad then. I guess you can split up larger builds into smaller components to fit in the time constraint. But I mean for free thats not bad considering it usually costs a lot.

Hawkee  -  Mar 16, 2015

Yes, definitely a nice resource. I certainly wouldn't pay to use one because the things you print are generally fairly inexpensive to begin with.

Sorasyn  -  Mar 30, 2015

The university here has one in the CS department somewhere, although I've yet to actually see it in person. I was told about a week ago they print stuff for free, so long as we designed the blueprint -- provided we get permission from some department honcho. The only real bottleneck about the whole deal is how long some of this stuff takes to create.

A 3D printer is something I've long dreamed of owning, even if it's a basic MakerBot or what have you. I'd never have to buy another part in my life! :)

Hawkee  -  Apr 03, 2015

Maybe you can print a case for your Pi? http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=raspberry+pi+2+case - With the proper settings you can probably print one in less than 2 hours.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.