Hawkee   -  Mar 10, 2015

I decided to get into a new hobby and picked up a Cheerson CX-20. It's a neat quadcopter and allows for programmable waypoint missions and an abundance of tweaks. Anybody own a quadcopter?

[Plornt]  -  Mar 14, 2015

I own a mini quadcopter, well... probably cant really call it much of a quadcopter but its fun to mess about with. I wanted to mod the controller and be able to control it from my PC, but thats a project for another day.

Hawkee  -  Mar 16, 2015

Which do you have? Mine can plug into the computer and be programmed to fly waypoint missions according to GPS coordinates. I haven't tried this yet. I'm waiting for my Mobius Actioncam to come in the mail before I send it on any sort of extensive flights.

[Plornt]  -  Mar 16, 2015

http://www.micro-drone.co.uk/ very inexpensive and just a toy really, but wanted to use something inexpensive so I dont lose a few hundred quid on a programming mistake :P They also are very good with support, mine broke when flying and they got a replacement body out in a few days.

Hawkee  -  Mar 16, 2015

That's a great way to start. I've also got the Cheerson CX-10 and I basically learned to fly on that. How are you at it? Can you do a figure 8 around the living room using only yaw and pitch? If you want to upgrade check out the Tarantula X6.

I can fly without crashing and use the programmed in stunts and do basic flying with yaw/pitch. I do find I sometimes lose control of it and go too fast slamming into walls etc. The only thing that I dislike with it is the battery life is absolutely awful. Probably can only get about 5-10 minutes out of it at a time and after about 8 minutes it starts slowly dropping, suppose thats to be expected with a drone that small. Tarantula X6 looks pretty cool, will probably get that once I have some disposable income lying around.

Hawkee  -  Mar 16, 2015

That's to be expected with any drone, even the $1,000 models. The technology just isn't to a point where 20+ minute flights are feasible. If you can get 10 minutes that's pretty good. That's why you buy extra batteries.

Ah, thought it was the size of the drone but I guess the heavier the battery the more weight you put on it, the bigger the body and the more power it uses. Thats good to know then, I do have a few batteries for this one currently heres to hoping for further advancements in battery technology!

Hawkee  -  Mar 16, 2015

I'm sure the technology will improve, but I feel its at a good place right now to get into the hobby.

Reconix  -  Apr 25, 2015

I've a Micro Drone, they're pretty cool and programmable, find your self adding all sorts of crap to it, careful though, you can easily spend an entire weekend messing around with them.

Hawkee  -  Apr 25, 2015

Which one is it? Yes, it's quite interesting seeing things from a hardware standpoint rather than software for a change.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.