Hawkee   -  Dec 09, 2014

I've been considering how to structure our permission system. My goal is to encourage well thought out posts while limiting spammy activity. For one I want to limit voting so as to avoid point manipulation. I'm considering requiring a certain point total in order to unlock voting in the first place. Then after that I may limit each individual to X number of votes depending on their level. For example: 1 vote per day with more than 15 points, 3 votes per day with more than 100 points, etc. I'm also considering restricting new threads. I may limit new users to one thread per day with incremental unlocking as well. What are your thoughts?

Dillie-O  -  Dec 09, 2014

Have you been having issues with too much spammy activity (besides me? 8^D)? What badge/limit/permission implementaion have you seen on other sites that you like? That might be the first step to setting up a good model. I don't think I have a preference one way or another, but don't mind helping you talk through it if you need.

Hawkee  -  Dec 09, 2014

We recently had a case where a user created a couple fake accounts and upvoted most of his pages. I need to restrict this. In regard to posting, there is a certain motivation to post when you know you earned the privilege.

Sorasyn  -  Dec 09, 2014

Sounds restrictive. Don't crack down on the users, crack down on the real problem; spam bots.

Social Networking with a restriction on the "social" is contradictory.

Hawkee  -  Dec 09, 2014

Mainly I'd like to gamify the site, so the goal is to make posting fun and rewarding.

Sorasyn  -  Dec 09, 2014

Gamifying the site by restricting privileges doesn't seem that fun. :/

Hawkee  -  Dec 09, 2014

For somebody just starting out it's fun to have a sense of progress. In your case you'd probably already have most of this unlocked at your current point level.

Sorasyn  -  Dec 09, 2014

Yes, but this doesn't feel like the best way to go about implementing that.

Hawkee  -  Dec 09, 2014

These are only a couple early unlockables. I have plans to implement some that aren't available yet such as theme customization, down voting, flagging, etc.

Sorasyn  -  Dec 09, 2014

On a side note: You might check your email notification system. I've gotten three notification emails now that have empty bodies. They just come with a header, and title.

Hawkee  -  Dec 09, 2014

@Sorasyn Thank you, I tried to update the email earlier, but I think I may have broken it. What email client are you using?

Sorasyn  -  Dec 09, 2014

The mailbox is Yahoo, although they get picked up and downloaded to my iPhone's Mail application.

Hawkee  -  Dec 09, 2014

@Sorasyn How are the emails now? I just made some adjustments.

Sorasyn  -  Dec 09, 2014

It's working now.

Hawkee  -  Dec 09, 2014

Back to the permission system. I'm looking at it from a psychological perspective. When you put some effort into earning something you appreciate and respect it more. Also, knowing you have an exclusive right to do something makes you more likely to do it to express your authority. For example you cannot comment on Product Hunt when you create an account. You need an invite to comment. Once you've earned it you feel compelled to use this earned right. The same can be said about certain privileges at StackOverflow. There is a psychological aspect to all of this.

Sorasyn  -  Dec 09, 2014

Yes but you've also said it yourself, Hawkee is a Social Network. When was the last time you saw a social networking site that you had to earn the right to post more than once per day, and the right to like more than three things per day? It seems like you're trying to use gamify mechanics as a way to combat spam. A flagging system would be more than sufficient combined with tightened security on account creation to keep the site relatively manageable -- where that's concerned.

I agree about the psychological quality. I still maintain that something along the lines of badges, or accolades would be a good and well form of gamifying the site -- while maintaining the fun and freedom.

ImArrow  -  May 14, 2015

No. Just.....No. bad idea. :P

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.