Hawkee   -  Mar 26, 2014

Here's a little preview of the new Markdown-enabled snippet editor.

Hawkee  -  Mar 26, 2014

Pay attention to the tabs on top. There are 3 modes: Hybrid, Raw and Preview

Sorasyn  -  Mar 26, 2014

Looks really nice. Might take some getting used to, but definitely a step forward. Now you won't have to bother with adding text and code fields dynamically. It generates itself now. :)

Hawkee  -  Mar 26, 2014

The dynamic code boxes are still a major part of it, but now you can write better looking/organized descriptions around the code. You can add code in raw Markdown, but you won't have the syntax highlighting, tab indentation, auto-indentation, etc. The idea is that you can type code in a code friendly editor and describe it in style with Markdown.

ProIcons  -  Mar 30, 2014

I prefer BBCodes,

Hawkee  -  Mar 31, 2014

@ProIcons Why is that? Markdown has many more features and it's easier to type and read.

sean  -  Mar 31, 2014

I agree and prefer Markdown. While BBCode can be more semantic, Markdown allows you to better focus on content due to it's wiki-like syntax. I actually just switched my personal blog from Wordpress to Jekyll (via GitHub pages) and thoroughly enjoy the end result.

Hawkee  -  Mar 31, 2014

I've heard good things about Jekyll. You should be happy to know I'm using the GitHub flavored Markdown.

Hawkee  -  Apr 01, 2014

Have any of you tried Medium.com? They've got a very clean page editor. It doesn't have any borders around the inputs and uses only placeholders to designate where to input content. I think this look might be good for our new page editor. I'd like to take this site more in a content creation direction. Somewhat like Medium but with an emphasis on code.

Sorasyn  -  Apr 01, 2014

Can't say I have. I'd give it a look now, but apparently they require a Twitter to use their website. Sometimes I think websites throw up stupid road blocks like that just to harvest information. Despicable practice, in my opinion.

Hawkee  -  Apr 01, 2014

I didn't realize it was a requirement, but it does simplify the account creation. It's very easy to remove apps via your Twitter account.

Hawkee  -  Apr 01, 2014

With this in mind I've been tossing around the idea of calling snippets "Code Articles". It implies both that it's an entire page and also that the emphasis is on code.

Sorasyn  -  Apr 01, 2014

It seems to be to log in to the website anyway, maybe not so much a requirement to write.

I'm not so much a fan of social media websites, or websites in general that require gobs of information just for an account.

Hawkee  -  Apr 01, 2014

So wouldn't Twitter authentication be preferred since it doesn't require any input to register?

Hawkee  -  Oct 02, 2014

I finally finished this up. It turned out a great deal different from these older WIP screenshots.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.