Sorasyn   -  Feb 09, 2014

For being a first time Ruby on Rails programmer; it's definitely not making the ever crucial good first impression. That's even after the hour long journey of installing it and RVM; hitting wall after wall. An absolutely super job they did building a UNIX installer. /Facepalm

Hawkee  -  Feb 10, 2014

That's my biggest problem with RoR. It's such a beast to install, but once you get it running the development process can go quite fast.

Sorasyn  -  Feb 10, 2014

Yeah I still don't have it installed correctly. I've been trying any way I know how to complete the installation on my drive on the university's Linux servers. I can get RVM, and Ruby 2.1.0 installed but after that it's just a nightmare. The directions tell me I need to run "bundle install" which requires a file by the name of "Gemfile." Problem is I have about 4 of these Gemfiles which supposedly after installing, allows the Ruby installation to use Rails 3 & 4. However none of them install correctly, and don't allow Ruby 2.1.0 to access Rails. It just spits out some HTML gibberish and returns.

I got so frustrated with it earlier I had to take off and go for a drive. Lol.

Hawkee  -  Feb 10, 2014

I haven't dabbled much with RoR, but my primary memory was the gruesome installation. If I recall correctly it took me 2-3 hours to get everything working the way I wanted. Don't give up, it can be done.

Sorasyn  -  Feb 10, 2014

Yeah it's probably something really simple that I'm not doing. That's how it usually goes when something like this comes about. I'll keep trying it regardless, I need it for future assignments. :/

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.