Sorasyn   -  Nov 12, 2013

@Hawkee The snippets page in mobile becomes a little jumbled on bigger descriptions pushing text onto other descriptions and other things of the like. On mobile that is.

Just a suggestion but it'd be nice to be able to search snippets by category like we're able to in scripts.

Hawkee  -  Nov 12, 2013

I'm considering retiring that page. I'd like to replace it with the newer format found here: http://www.hawkee.com/explore/?a=post&tt=snippet_id - The main problem is that it would lose the filters and the sort. I've been holding off doing this because I would like to at least offer a sort. The language and category filter isn't so necessary because most people should be using the search. If you look at sites like GitHub there is no way to browse by category or language.

Sorasyn  -  Nov 12, 2013

Perhaps I'm just stuck in my ways, but categories just strikes me as simpler. To be perfectly honest I use the search function very sporadically at best -- once or twice per month. Perhaps forcing more emphasis on searching and filtering would jolt users like myself to use it more often. Lol.

Hawkee  -  Nov 12, 2013

I'm curious, what specific categories are you interested in?

Sorasyn  -  Nov 12, 2013

Any and all really. Nothing entirely specific. If anything it just showcased what platforms were available, and how many works were available for that platform without having to do any extra work. It shows the depth of the site, if that makes any sense. Searching, solely, gives a "find what you're looking for, and leave" attitude. On it's own it doesn't subconsciously encourage users to delve deeper into the site by exploring other platforms, types of projects/snippets, etc. Browsing, if you will.

That's not to say it isn't a powerful tool, because it certainly is. However, it's hard to enforce searching as the sole access lynch pin to your website's content because it's impossible for it to show even a fraction of what you have to offer.

Hawkee  -  Nov 12, 2013

Ultimately I'd like users to promote their profiles and have their things found by their own merit. I don't imagine many people go to GitHub looking for interesting projects. They probably find the projects elsewhere based on who wrote them or word of mouth.

Sorasyn  -  Nov 13, 2013

Valid point. I've promoted my profile a few times to friends, or other developers.

Hawkee  -  Nov 13, 2013

What I'd really like to do is make profiles more representative of our development careers. The next feature I want to add is development roles. So rather than posting an app or script that you wrote all by yourself you can post a site or app that you worked on and describe your role on the project. Then other developers who worked on the same project can also share their contribution. With enough of this data somebody could search for a site they like and find out who designed it or who programmed it.

Sorasyn  -  Nov 13, 2013

I do like the idea of trying to shine a more business acclimated light on profiles; showing what you've worked on -- whether that be a solo or collaborative project.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.