Hawkee   -  Dec 30, 2012

Linux now on 42% of consumer computing devices, http://bit.ly/TTg6vs

Hawkee  -  Dec 30, 2012

I think the most interesting statistic here is that Microsoft went from 97% of all computing devices to 20% since 2000.

Sorasyn  -  Dec 30, 2012

I'd like Linux a lot more if they would simply tie up loose ends. Some software company support would be great as well, but not necessary. Probably my number one issue with them at this point is their graphics card technology issues -- namely, Optimus. Otherwise I might have Linux as a primary OS.

Hawkee  -  Dec 30, 2012

I don't know if I could use Linux as my desktop OS, but it does make for a great server OS.

Sorasyn  -  Dec 30, 2012

Desktop isn't too bad. It's got a Mac feel to it, although slightly buggier. Which is why it wouldn't be so bad if they would take the time to polish.

Hawkee  -  Dec 30, 2012

I'm not sure if that's up to any particular entity. There are multiple GUI's to choose from.

Sorasyn  -  Jan 01, 2013

Ubuntu is the only one I've really played with. I have Mint, and Gentoo, but they're not so good.

Hawkee  -  Jan 01, 2013

I've played a bit with Ubuntu as well, but I primarily use CentOS and only over SSH. We use it to run this website.

[nas]peter  -  Jan 01, 2013

I personally LOVE Debian. Debian works nicely and seems stable. I use it to run my servers :) I've never really played a lot with Ubuntu and CentOS, I did however use both (and FreeBSD). However, for school I must use Windows due to Microsoft office (and my hate for anything from Apple since that's expensive).

Sorasyn  -  Jan 01, 2013

I have Ubuntu on an external drive so I can boot from when needed. I've only used as of late to exploit a shortcoming in the university network, to avoid installing their garbage antivirus program (TrendMicro). I boot into it once and, since they don't require the use of antivirus on Linux systems, they'll whitelist the PC and allow it network access despite which OS you use thereafter.

blackvenomm666  -  Jan 01, 2013

nicely done @Sorasyn lol

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.