Conscious   -  Dec 25, 2012

@Hawkee I do understand your reasoning for deprecating the forum; however a lot of hawkee.com's userbase is partially or entirely related to mirc - this is quite the opposite to most of the rest of the internet, and sticking to that, stackoverflow.com. You say stack overflow covers Q&A quite well, but I'm bringing to light that I don't think I've ever found anything useful on mIRC there.

Hawkee  -  Dec 26, 2012

This is the main reason we're keeping the forum for now. It's mainly being utilized as an mIRC Q&A forum. The reason it needs to be deprecated is we need to focus our service. In the past this site has been too broad, thus the lack of growth.

What worked for the mIRC community 10 years ago doesn't work for the broader development community today. We just need to catch up.

Conscious  -  Dec 26, 2012

Do you frown upon people asking for help as a status update?

Hawkee  -  Dec 26, 2012

No, that is part of the intended purpose.

In that case, I guess there isn't a real need for the forums, except for perhaps extended discussions & the tutorials. Speaking of the tutorials, do you have pageview statistics on parts of or the whole of the forums?

Hawkee  -  Dec 26, 2012

Tutorials can be done as snippets. I plan to upgrade the snippet system to support multiple code blocks, so this will make the forum tutorials obsolete. I have statistics of my own, but the forum does keep track of pageviews on its own.

It would be interesting to see which parts of the forums receive the most pageviews

Hawkee  -  Dec 26, 2012

It's the index and both mIRC forums that receive the most traffic. The forum is entirely mIRC related traffic.

Stewie1k94  -  Dec 27, 2012

I find it harder to get to the forum. Sometimes I find it good to go over some of my old posts/questions.

Hawkee  -  Dec 27, 2012

@Stewie1k94 That is intentional. The forum is very old software and has served its purpose over the years. Now its time to move on to our newer technology.

Stewie1k94  -  Dec 27, 2012

Okay. The new ideas do sound good though. :)

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.