Hawkee   -  Dec 20, 2012

I've been considering adding a points system to the site. Currently the likes you see on your profile is the sum total of all the likes you've earned across the site. What I'd like to do is possibly switch this to a point system where likes earned on snippets, projects or apps are worth more than a single like. Then we can implement unlockable features. The main question I have is what should we call them? points, reputation, karma? I prefer to use something unique or at least fairly generic.

Conscious  -  Dec 20, 2012

@Hawkee First talk of threading and now points? This isn't reddit :P
On a serious note, what features would you have unlockable by points? Would you be able to lose points?

"I prefer to use something unique or at least fairly generic."
= "I prefer unique or common names."

Hawkee  -  Dec 20, 2012

@Conscious I'm actually not a big fan of reddit. This question is more inspired by StackOverflow. I like that I can earn 10 points for a good answer, so that encourages me to answer questions rather than comment on them. I'd like to encourage more code snippets by offering more value in posting them. Some unlockable features might be downvoting, liking, flagging snippets/images.

Stewie1k94  -  Dec 20, 2012

Reputation sounds a good thing to call them.

sean  -  Dec 20, 2012

The problem I have with StackOverflow is that the community is trained into answering questions as quick as possible to earn the points. Consequently, users post the first thing that come to their head, then edit their post over and over until they're satisfied.

Hawkee  -  Dec 20, 2012

@sean I don't think that is a concern here because the way to earn more points would be to post good snippets.

Stewie1k94  -  Dec 20, 2012

For example, snippets that others find useful?

Hawkee  -  Dec 20, 2012

Yes, the goal is to encourage more useful snippets.

cofvempire  -  Dec 20, 2012

hawpo as a name? hawpo = hawkee points, just thinking :)

Sorasyn  -  Dec 20, 2012

I like the idea. "Code points," perhaps?

Hawkee  -  Dec 20, 2012

Here are some ideas I had: regard, esteem, notoriety, stature. I like "regard" the best. You can say you have 900 regard at Hawkee.

Conscious  -  Dec 21, 2012

"900 regard" sounds wrong tbh

Hawkee  -  Dec 21, 2012

Not much more strange than 900 karma or 900 reputation sounded before they were popularized.

sean  -  Dec 21, 2012

I love the idea. I just fear this is going to become as estranged as the old rating system with the current community :( Hello World type mIRC Snippets earning absurd likes lol

Hawkee  -  Dec 21, 2012

@sean The currency would still be likes, but I just want to make likes made to snippets offer more value to the poster. I'd also have to make liking unlockable in the first place to restrict users who might try to create fake accounts to like their own snippets.

Sorasyn  -  Dec 22, 2012

This doesn't really seem like an "unlockable" type website. I agree there should be a bar to hurdle over to earn certain privileges among the website, to reduce spam or advertisements as it were.

Hawkee  -  Dec 29, 2012

How about "Influence"?

Conscious  -  Dec 29, 2012

Love it!

Hawkee  -  Dec 29, 2012

The only problem I have with it is it implies an effect on others. I feel a word like "regard" better suits the meaning of the score.

How about esteem? edit: I feel esteem is more positive, haven't bothered to look them up specificially though

Hawkee  -  Dec 29, 2012

Yes, that was another consideration, but it does have somewhat of a pride connotation. I don't want to imply that having a good score should make somebody proud. But its still up for debate.

Regard can have negative connotations though. Something to keep in mind!

Hawkee  -  Dec 29, 2012

@Conscious I don't immediately think of any negative connotations. I'm thinking of it from the angle of respect.

Maybe ask more users their first thoughts on it the word?

Hawkee  -  Dec 29, 2012

That's what this discussion is about.

This thread more seems like the discussion of the concept

Hawkee  -  Dec 29, 2012

Maybe once I get around to implementing this I'll start a new thread with my proposition.

Stewie1k94  -  Dec 29, 2012

Influence does sound good.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.