Hawkee   -  Dec 18, 2012

I've been considering adding threaded comments much like you see on Hacker News and Reddit. This would mostly help on the more popular posts where there are 50+ comments. I'm just not sure if that format would work well for what we're doing here. What are your thoughts?

KindOne  -  Dec 19, 2012

I like that idea. Maybe go the extra mile and do something like the "Reddit Enhancement Suite" add-on does on reddit. It colors the background to make the comments/replies easier to follow.

Noutrious  -  Dec 19, 2012

After all these changes and investments you've made here — I really hope you'll do as much work on marketing, else ways it's like a close friends crib to hang out with good features and such, but nothing more.

Hawkee  -  Dec 19, 2012

The best marketing is through word of mouth. We just need to post useful code done in popular languages.

BlueThen  -  Dec 19, 2012

Coding Horror very recently had a post on threading: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/12/web-discussions-flat-by-design.html

I personally like threaded comments, as it lets you follow the conversation in just about any chosen direction.

It might work best here to allow threaded comments, but limit them to 1-2 levels deep.

Hawkee  -  Dec 19, 2012

Thanks for that link @BlueThen, the discussion on HN is also quite good, http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4919111

Conscious  -  Dec 19, 2012

I can see both pros and cons for changing it to threaded. Tbh for our current userbase it would be better to have it flat IMO. Although @BlueThen has a good point about 2 levels deep. First level is the initation of subject in response to the post, second level would be discussion on that. We would need a lot more users for a complete threaded system to be the best option, though.

Hawkee  -  Dec 20, 2012

The main reason I asked this was because I've been getting questions on my more popular snippets that aren't really relevant to most of the commenters. When I reply I feel like most people don't need to see my response. This can be partially remedied by not sending a notice when a comment starts with a @mention, but a single level deep thread might also work. I think for now we'll stick with @mention replies.

Conscious  -  Dec 20, 2012

@Hawkee Could I have an example of this situation?

Hawkee  -  Dec 20, 2012

@Conscious Been getting lots of questions here: http://www.hawkee.com/snippet/9391/

Hawkee  -  Dec 22, 2012

I had an idea. Maybe I can use the same homepage interface for code snippets and projects. It would be a most-recent-on-top single level deep commenting system. So you would post a new comment thread by clicking what is now the status update link and each new comment would act like a status update where it can have multiple replies, but only a single level deep.

Hawkee  -  Dec 22, 2012

Another bonus to using the activity system to comment on posts is we can use the new "Post Image" feature to add screenshots to the discussion very easily.

BlueThen  -  Dec 22, 2012

That sounds very Twitteresque, but a good idea. My only concern is context: will the reader easily be able to tell what the commenter is talking about?

Hawkee  -  Dec 22, 2012

If users treat it properly it should be clear. In a way it would act more like a forum where top level comments are topics to be discussed. The more I think about it the more I like the idea. It would allow for much more detailed discussions which would fill the void left by GitHub. There projects don't allow for discussion. Ultimately I'd like Hawkee to be the discussion arm of GitHub where developers can discuss potential features and get feedback from their users, much like I'm doing right now with this discussion.

Hawkee  -  Dec 22, 2012

This would also allow me to show the comment text on the homepage because they would no longer be replies but rather topics. I would still suppress the text of replies to comments.

Hawkee  -  Jan 03, 2013

I ultimately decided to use 1 level deep comment threads and have completed the change. Here is the changelog, http://www.hawkee.com/status/102009

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.