Conscious   -  Nov 10, 2012

I know mSL (mIRC Code), and PHP, JS, CSS, HTML, related stuff, blah blah, along with a tiny bit of Java (made a dodgy android game). What's next?

Sorasyn  -  Nov 10, 2012

Python, perhaps? Or you could expand upon your knowledge in Java among other languages.

Conscious  -  Nov 10, 2012

Hmm I was actually thinking along the same lines as you. What are your thoughts on C#/C++/C?

Sorasyn  -  Nov 10, 2012

C#; no. It's Microsoft's version of Java.

C/C++ would have some advantages on Windows machines, and possibly other machines. I've never played with C/C++ in depth though, and thus I can't say what it can or cannot do more efficiently than other languages.

Java can be constructed into several forms. Code converters can create executable files out of Java. Executable JARS can be supported across many operating systems. Java also has, as you know, a heavy mobile operating system following.

Hawkee  -  Nov 10, 2012

Finish something and put it out there. Anybody can learn a language, but few actually release something worthwhile.

MaSOuD  -  Nov 11, 2012

@Sorasyn Java is like the retarded brother of C#.
Btw, C# is much more powerful than Java. You can't even compare them :)

Conscious  -  Nov 11, 2012

@Sorasyn Thanks for your thoughts.
@Hawkee I tend to dabble and do personal projects however if I was going to do something different it wouldn't be website-based or mirc-based so it would be fairly easy to release.
@MaSOuD Java does have the advantage of being cross-platform, though.

BlueThen  -  Nov 11, 2012

If you're interested in learning something different, I recommend trying something functional like haskell, or F# if you like Microsoft, or Scala if you want to develop on a JVM and want to have the option of using OOP.

Sorasyn  -  Nov 11, 2012

@MaSOuD C# actually came out after Java, as a competitive ploy by Microsoft. Even then it failed to catch fire with the tech world, outside of Windows. So C# is more comparable to C/C++ since they both are predominately Windows related, and narrowly scoped at that. It is in that respect that Microsoft is much like Apple, making specialized products with a specific audience in mind, rather than a product that can be expanded, and adapted to many other applications.

MaSOuD  -  Nov 11, 2012

@Sorasyn I know when C# came out. Still C# has more usage and grown so faster than Java considering that Java is cross platform and C# is only on Windows (Just like you mentioned.)
However, there's the Mono Project that brings C# on Mac & Linux & Android. :)
Java is just so ugly, and hard to work with. Since there are no good IDEs for it comparing to Visual Studio for C#.

Sorasyn  -  Nov 11, 2012

Suppose I'll find out more about C# in the final weeks of the semester, so I'll be able to better judge it's usability. I don't much like IDEs to start off with, but for bigger projects I'll use NetBeans which is ok. It's UI builder is a tad constricting but it's manageable for the most part. However, their syntax and overall code structure are eerily similar though.

MaSOuD  -  Nov 11, 2012

True, their syntax and structure are similar..
And good luck. I bet you'll like C# ;)

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.