[nas]peter   -  Nov 04, 2012

I was thinking of buying a computer for myself. I thought about second hand computers mainly for testing things (and running Debian as OS instead of VM). Is a Dell Poweredge 1850 good for this? I can get one pretty cheap and it seems to meet all my specifications for what I need. 2GB ram, dual intel Xeon processor at 2.8gHz. 2 HDD's with 73GB storage each, not like I'll use it as a NAS server :P. Or does anyone have a suggestion what I should instead of the PE1850?

Hawkee  -  Nov 04, 2012

What sort of things will you be testing? Is this going to be a web server? What sort of application? How much data?

blackvenomm666  -  Nov 05, 2012

dell poweredge from my experience was a pretty good line of computer i have one that i still use the poweredge 400sc. although it has gone through at least 2 psu's and i think this third one is going out so i might be junking it. right now i run a dell xps gen 2 as my main computer it's a pretty good one pent 4 processor got 4 hdd's in it 2 gb of ram and can upgrade to 4. and i run wow on it. whether either will run what you need i'm not really sure but they are both decent enough computers especially for older ones.

[nas]peter  -  Nov 05, 2012

Mainly a testing enviroment for some of the scripting I do, a personal web server, Sql database, , probably a virtual machine with Debian (512MB Ram). Mainly local data.

The applications that I'll run could possibly be:
-xchat
-vmware 8.0
-bittorrent
-httpd
-php
-perl
-python
-ftpd (if possible)
-remote desktop so I can connect my laptop to the server.

Running OS: Windows 2003 server enterprise edition.

Hawkee  -  Nov 05, 2012

I think you should be fine with whatever you can scrounge up if it's just a test environment.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.