Hawkee   -  Nov 01, 2012

The redesign is complete. We changed the font to Open Sans and increased it to 14px. Also, the snippet pages are now full screen to make the code more readable. Let me know if you find any issues and let me know what you think.

Hawkee  -  Nov 01, 2012

I just had a thought. Should we just remove the right scrollbar beside the longer snippets? It does get to be troublesome to read the code when you're dealing with two scrollbars. This would increase the length of pages with long snippets substantially. I'll probably need to add a link to the comments on top.

Paradox-Paradigm  -  Nov 01, 2012

It looks nice… the font size looks a little big but it's adjustable, just two things…

This was on the old version of the site as well: when clicking on your avatar in the top right corner, the pop-up box is only tall enough to cover anything behind the first four out of six options in the drop down menu, 'Follow Finder' & 'Sign Out' get put plainly over whatever is behind them, this isn't really an issue unless you're scrolled to the top of the page

The Hawkee logo & the Home button in the header are separate buttons but link to the same thing… that seems a little odd, doesn't it?

Hawkee  -  Nov 01, 2012

@Paradox-Paradigm Thank you. Can you give me a screenshot of the account box. Something must be pushing the text down.

As for the Home links and the logo. Some people expect a Home link while others would rather click the logo. I just wanted to accommodate both. This is a common practice.

illhawkthat  -  Nov 01, 2012

@Hawkee don't listen to @Paradox-Paradigm - I personally like the changes your are making!!!!!!

Paradox-Paradigm  -  Nov 01, 2012

nick1 stop being over dramatic…

Hawkee http://i.imgur.com/rRDU1.png now that you mention pushed down i'm guessing it's my overly long username

Hawkee  -  Nov 01, 2012

@Paradox-Paradigm Thank you. I'll work out a fix that will accommodate your longer username.

BlueThen  -  Nov 01, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/IcmJc.png

Fonts seem to do this a lot on my system. Perhaps it's my OS, XP.

Sorasyn  -  Nov 01, 2012

The snippet title font size is a little big.

Hawkee  -  Nov 01, 2012

@BlueThen That's strange. Have a look at html5rocks and let me know if its doing it there as well.

Hawkee  -  Nov 01, 2012

@Sorasyn On the snippet pages themselves or the snippet listing page?

Sorasyn  -  Nov 01, 2012

Snippet listings. They don't look too bad on Windows, but it seemed like they were a little pudgy on Ubuntu 12.10.

Hawkee  -  Nov 01, 2012

At first I thought they were a bit pudgy, but after a little while I started to like that look. It really helps them stand out on the activity stream.

BlueThen  -  Nov 01, 2012

@Hawkee indeed, it happens there also. It also looks like it's funky (no anti-aliasing?) in both Chrome and Opera, but not Firefox.

Edit. This fixed it: http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2010/09/turning-on-cleartype-on-windows-xp.html
Seemed like Firefox ignores the operating system's clear-type settings, and forces it on inside the browser.

Hawkee  -  Nov 01, 2012

Yeah I figured it was a setting.

Stewie1k94  -  Nov 02, 2012

The new looks, is awesome. The font size makes it stand out, snippets pages are awesome. Keep up the great work on the site. :)

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.