N3M3S1S   -  Oct 22, 2012

What language should I use to make the new RPGenerator? I was thinking of making it for mIRC, but I think I will rather make it it's own program.

I was thinking Python, or maybe Perl... What about AutoIt?

Hawkee  -  Oct 22, 2012

Python is really popular right now. It's a very nice language. It gets my vote.

Sorasyn  -  Oct 23, 2012

I'd say Python. It's a bit informal if you ask me, but it will definitely get the job done!

sean  -  Oct 23, 2012
If you're new to Python, here's a great interactive resource http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python plug>
Hawkee  -  Oct 23, 2012

That your site @sean?

N3M3S1S  -  Oct 25, 2012

Yes I am totally new to Python. The only languages I know fluently is mIRC's mSL. I have played around with C++ and AutoIt as well. C++ is out of the question, too much for me. I want to use AutoIt since I want to get to know more of it and it has a wonderful arsenal of tools and includes.

I'm torn between Python and AutoIt. I may go with AutoIt since I already have it installed on my computer and I am already familiar with it...

Hawkee  -  Oct 25, 2012

Definitely go with Python. It's a much more popular and better supported language than AutoIt.

N3M3S1S  -  Oct 25, 2012

Its not necessarily support I'm looking for. AutoIt has everything I need for this, and plus once its compiled it shouldn't matter. IDK about to post info on my current mini project ;)

Sorasyn  -  Oct 25, 2012

Python is big on Linux-based distributions, as far as I know anyway, and it does have some online presence. Would be good for developing programs that are cross compatible with other operating systems.

AutoIt, however, is a reverberation of Window's VBS. As you can probably guess Window's programming languages were not designed to be multi-platform compatible, and as such is probably a trait AutoIt has also acquired. Besides, AutoIt is somewhat of a shorthand language to Windows-based functions, which would almost make it somewhat like a batch file, command after command.

sean  -  Oct 29, 2012

@N3M3S1S Python would certainly be the better language to learn IMO as most hosting providers have support for it 'out of the box'.

@Hawkee No but, I've written a few jQuery, Javascript and Python courses :)

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.