Hawkee   -  Oct 12, 2012

After much consideration I've decided to deprecate the forum. It still does get some activity, so for that reason we will keep it for the foreseeable future.. The link will be moved to the bottom of the site to shift focus to our newer status update system. This was a hard decision to make, but in order to progress as an application developer network this is a necessary step.

We aren't a Q&A site. StackOverflow has that covered. So by removing the forum we are stepping further away from a Q&A format. Our goal is to provide developers with a platform to reach out to and communicate with their users.

Hawkee  -  Oct 12, 2012

I could keep the mIRC sections open since they still get activity, but I'd probably bury the link somewhere in order to reduce activity and steer more users to the status update system.

Abcdefmonkey  -  Oct 12, 2012

Sounds like a good idea. However, I would probably truncate long status posts though and implement a "Show all" or "See more" button. Posts such as SunnyD's below takes up quite a bit of space on the home page. :P

Hawkee  -  Oct 12, 2012

Right, that's exactly what I'm thinking.

Hawkee  -  Oct 12, 2012

I'm going to move the Forum link to the footer to see if we can downplay it a bit more. I just removed all of the dead forums leaving only a handful that are active.

Sorasyn  -  Oct 12, 2012

Glad I could be of help! Lmao.

One thing I do feel obligated to point out. With your automatic status filler, (not sure what to call it, it adds on to the home page status list), makes the forums unreachable. Only after scrolling through 6 months worth of statuses was I finally able to reach it. However, with the purpose of diminishing forum traffic, it may have been intentional.

Yeah. I see what SunnyD was saying. It kept displaying the next set of status updates automatically, preventing me from viewing the footer of the site. It finally stopped after a while and allowed me to click a "Show More" button. If this was unintentional, possibly allow us to click the show more button if we desire to see older updates to prevent automatically displaying the next set. Also, the header part (specifically the grey transparent strip) I think the links should be aligned in the center. However, I see that they are aligned with the "Hawkee" image, which keeps it uniform with the header. It was just a personal observation. ^_^

Hawkee  -  Oct 12, 2012

The header is getting a redesign so look forward to that soon. I intentionally added the show more link in order to stop the infinite scroll. I may reduce the number of auto appends before it shows up though.

Well, I figured the show more was intentional. I was referring to the amount of auto-appends as being unintentional, because it displays a new set of updates about 3-4 times (if not more) taking forever to reach the bottom of the site. Also, good to hear the header is being redesigned. :D

Hawkee  -  Oct 12, 2012

It appends 3 times, and I did consider that before moving the forum link to the bottom. There are pages that don't auto append, so if you want to get there faster you can go to those pages first.

BlueThen  -  Oct 13, 2012

Our goal is to provide developers with a platform to reach out to and communicate with their users.
Hawkee seems to be primarily built for developers (ie. with the snippet-posting from homepage). How will it appeal to users in the future?

Hawkee  -  Oct 13, 2012

@BlueThen Well for example I've been using a particular lightbox here on the site for the images and I was trying to contact the developer about a certain issue I was having. I couldn't find him anywhere, so all I could do was post an issue to the project page. If he had a Hawkee profile I could contact him directly here. In this case I'm the user and he's the developer.

Hawkee  -  Oct 13, 2012

Also, since I appreciate that he released this code under the MIT license I might like to see what other scripts he's released, so I could check his profile to see all his projects.

So the users here are primarily developers using code from other developers?

Hawkee  -  Oct 13, 2012

Yes, basically. This is the sort of environment I'd like to foster.

Alright! I see now.

systemswt  -  Oct 13, 2012

I am a new user, excellent web site :D

Sorasyn  -  Oct 16, 2012

I'm probably late to the party with this, but live updates would be nice. Rather than updating to find I have a notification. Although it's a very minuscule update that would be more for preference than anything.

Hawkee  -  Oct 16, 2012

@Sorasyn I'm planning to implement an OAuth API in the future. This will allow application developers to build all sorts of notification apps. I'll look into real time updates for the website though.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.